Thursday, October 27, 2011

Sons of Anarchy

Just a quick one, but I just had to say how impressed I was with the first episode (pilot) of Sons of Anarchy. I was really dubious about committing to another new series, and a show about motorcyle gangs just didn't really appeal. I'm so glad I gave it a shot however! I think this could be the new replacement for Breaking Bad once I've caught up to regular programming with that series.

The first thing that struck me about this episode was the music. It took me a little while to figure out in what time it was set because of the 70's-esque funky rock music. If I was more up with modern music I'd have realised that it was the likes of The Black Keys and Lions that were creating that stoner rock sound.

The second thing I noticed was the HOT male lead. Ok, so I'm gonna go a bit girlie here for a moment, but wow. Charlie Hunnam plays Jackson (Jax) Teller, and he does a good job of the whole rugged, bad boy thing. He's also a pretty decent actor too....not that you would care much if he wasn't.

Even just from the pilot, you get a good idea of which characters you'll champion, and which you'll love to hate. Jax's mother Gemma is played by Katey Sagal (interestingly, also the voice of Leela from Futurama) and gee does she play the bitch well! Another stand out is Maggie Siff who plays an ex-girlfriend of Jax's, Tara Knowles. I'm looking forward to seeing some more of her after her very good turn as Rachel Menkin in early episodes of Mad Men.

Content is certainly not lacking here either. For just one episode, it certainly packs a punch. Think gunfights, explosions, warehouse fires (including crispy fried unfortunates) and a closing scene that actually made me cry. If you have been putting off starting this series, don't wait any longer! I can't wait to catch up to the rest of the world who are already enjoying season 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment