Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Green Lantern

Ok, so I was all set up to be incredibly cynical about this movie, and totally convinced that I was going to dislike it to some degree. I had every reason to feel this way. In the past, it's fair to say that comic books haven't translated so fantastically to the big screen. Spiderman was totally underwhelming. Batman is hit and miss. Transformers has it's good and bad points. Add to this the fact that I can't think of one good thing that Ryan Reynolds has been in, and that Blake Lively is best known for Gossip Girl, and I was ready to hate this film.

Now don't get me wrong, I enjoy a good action flick, and who can resist a man in tights, but my viewing history has led me to be at least sceptical of any offerings in the comic-book-to-movie line.

DESPITE all this however, I was actually pleasantly suprised! I think this film's main saving grace is that it doesn't take itself too seriously. I mean, a magic green ring that charges from a magic green lantern that charges on the power of harnessed will? Well, to say it's a slightly tenuous premise for a movie is an understatement! The great thing about this movie though, is that it's all here. The baddies are bad (and suitably misshapen and tortured in spirit), the good guy is dashing and dangerous, there are special effects out the wahzoo and just the right amount of humour. This is a film that doesn't take itself too seriously and doesn't aim for being more than entertaining action.

Add to this that the cast is solid throughout, and the acting of a much better level than I expected, and you have one enjoyable film. Reynolds was great in the lead role, Lively less so. She was fine, but really didn't stand out for me, and I thought her character rather bland throughout.

This isn't a movie that will make you think, or challenges the genre, but I found it very entertaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment