Thursday, October 27, 2011

Ok, so before I talk about Adele, I just have to say how awesome the season 3 finale and the first few episodes of season 4 of Breaking Bad have been! I think I'm going to be very sad when I catch up to regular programming!...Anyway, ADELE!

I am absolutely thrashing this awesome CD. Apart from being gorgeous, this girl has a serious set of lungs on her. 21 is a beautifully depressing album full of tales of lost love, heartbreak and life's complexities, all told passionately through Adele's rich vocal.

Her style is hard to pinpoint, but is some magic concoction of soul, blues and pop. Although some might compare her to the likes of Amy Winehouse or Duffy, there really is no comparison. The breadth of her talent is unlike anything I've heard in recent commercial music.

I think one of the most captivating things about this album is the storytelling. Characters spring into the mind fully formed, dressed with emotion and full of breath and life. I challenge anyone to listen to this album without identifying with at least one track. In fact the smash hit 'Someone Like You' is bound to bring wisps of nostalgia and longing to anyone who has ever left someone behind.

Adele's voice is just to die for. Although not what some might call perfect, her full contralto is so real and connected to the music. Fully capable of belting out with the best of them, where I feel she really excels is in the emotion conveyed in her softer moments. Don't worry, there are certainly some tracks worthy of a rousing shower chorus, but the intimate moments are the ones that really get me.

Hopefully she can manage to preserve and take care of this voice in the long run, as she has recently had to cancel many individual concerts and also half of her US tour due to vocal issues. It would be a real shame if this album wasn't followed by something equally as glorious.

Do yourself a favour and pick up this album where ever you can. I can honestly say I've been listening to it for months and still have never skipped a track.

No comments:

Post a Comment