Sunday, December 5, 2010

Movie - Twin Sisters

I watched a fantastic movie on SBS last night. I hadn't planned on staying up after Ninja Warrior and The Unbeatable Banzuke (both brilliant shows!), but the husband was already snoring away, so I thought I might as well see what was on next.

Twin Sisters is a moving story of twin sisters separated at a young age, and how their different lives unfolded. One grew up in a privileged Dutch family, and the other in squalor on a farm in Nazi Germany. The story flicked back and forth between their time as young women, and a chance meeting near the end of their lives.

This film has some truly heartbreaking moments, as well as some unexpected twists. Based on real events, it's shocking to think today of how utterly war destroys. Not only the loss of life and destruction during battle, but the survivors ripped apart, their lives changed forever. Not just the waste of youth in the fighting, but those left behind, who are doomed to live a future not meant for them.

This film left me thinking how things might have been, not only for these characters, but for thousands of real people, but for the war. I wonder if any can say that their lives were better for it? Was there a 'gift in the darkness' for anyone? Or were all those touched by war changed for the worse? I guess we'll never know, because we have no way of knowing what might have been.

This film made me think also about the current state of affairs in the world today. War is inevitable. There has always been war, and there always will be. War is a lucrative business. I guess it's unrealistic to wish for peace. I wonder if a day will ever come when war is considered just some strange barbaric custom that our ancestors used to do? I wonder if religion (the cause of many a war) will one day be the same? I wonder if one day our lives will unfold lazily, as they were meant to. Not wasted.

Hmmm, some interesting ramblings...what do you think?

1 comment:

  1. Thanks to share the information about this movie - your nice sentences make me to go and find this movie and watch it - Thanks for your comment in my weblog - Mustafa

    ReplyDelete